Search MAP & MAP BASIC Provider Handbook by Keyword
- Genetic Risk Assessment and Testing
- Candidates for amniocentesis must be ≤ 20 weeks gestation on the day of their genetic clinic appointment
Appropriate patients for referral include:
- Advanced Maternal Age (AMA): maternal age D 35 years old at delivery and patient consents to an amnio; must watch video; see below.
- Abnormal TAST screening test; amnio may or may not be indicated
- Family history of birth defects, mental retardation, or genetic diseases
- Personal history of birth defects, mental retardation, or genetic disease
- Exposure to teratogens such as alcohol, drugs, and medications for maternal diseases (e.g. Insulin-dependent diabetes). Patient may prefer to call Texas Teratogen Information Service for free pregnancy exposure/risk counseling at 1-800-733-4727.
- Abnormal ultrasound findings (fetal abnormalities)
- Recurrent Pregnancy Loss (D 2 SAB)
- Consanguineous matings
IMPORTANT! Before scheduling an appointment for genetic counseling, patient must watch video titled, “Prenatal Diagnosis of Birth Defects: Amniocentesis”.
Documentation required for scheduling an appointment:
- Completed referral form
- Pertinent Lab results (TAST, hemoglobin electrophoresis, blood type, etc.)
- Ultrasound report(s)
- Title V Screening Document, if eligible