HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACE INFORMATION
Open Enrollment Period is: November 1, 2023 – January 15, 2024
Local enrollment assistance is available, call 2-1-1
Why Do I Need Health Insurance?
Everyone Deserves Health Insurance
Health insurance is important, it protects people from the high costs of medical care.
When you buy health insurance, you are buying it alongside many other people. You then are all members of the health insurance plan. Each member pays into the plan.
If you or any member needs expensive medical care, you won’t h ave to pay the true cost of care. The money will come from the plan that you have been paying into.
Health insurance covers the costs of:
- Medical services,
- Hospital care, and
- Special equipment when you are sick.
Health insurance is also very important when you are not sick. Most health insurance pays for immunizations and yearly check-ups for children and adults. It may also pay for health screenings, counseling, and more.
What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
The Health Insurance Marketplace helps uninsured people enroll in health coverage. At the Marketplace, you can find out if you qualify for:
- Private health insurance with savings based on your income. Plans cover essential health benefits, pre-existing conditions, and preventive care. Most people who apply through the Marketplace qualify for premium tax credits and savings on out-of-pocket costs based on household size and income.
- Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) provide free or low-cost coverage to millions of families with limited income.
Learn how to compare plans and choose one that’s right for you. Knowing these things will help you decide what kind of plan you should buy:
- Any medical conditions that you have now
- Any medicines that you take now
- The number of medical visits that you expect to have for the year
- Any medical procedures like surgery or therapy that you may need
- Names of providers who are signed up to work with the health insurance company
(all providers who have contracts with one insurance company are called a network)
Would you like to receive reminders about the next open enrollment period for the Health Insurance Marketplace?